Yoane Wissa issues lengthy statement as Newcastle told to pay £65m for striker | Football | Sport
Brentford forward Yoane Wissa has issued a lengthy statement on his future just one day before the end of the transfer window. Newcastle have been chasing a move for the Congo international but have failed to strike an agreement with Brentford. Wissa is desperate to join the Magpies but time is running out for a deal to be completed.
He has not played for Brentford this season, having informed the club of his desire to move on earlier this summer. They are demanding a transfer fee of £65million which could price Newcastle out of a deal, according to the Daily Mail. In a desperate bid to force through an exit ahead of Monday’s deadline, Wissa has released an extraordinary statement.
He wrote: “I have stayed silent for much of the summer, but with just hours remaining of the transfer window I feel compelled make it clear that I want to leave Brentford.
“I believe the club are unduly standing in my way despite a series of fair offers throughout the summer. Earlier this summer, I held open discussions with the club’s senior management, including key directors and the new head coach.
“I made clear my intention to explore a new challenge. During these conversations, it was confirmed to me and my representatives that the club would not stand in my way if a reasonable offer was received. This was also put in writing.
“Based on this understanding, I sought to find a new club, keeping Brentford informed with full transparency at every step.”
Wissa did not directly name Newcastle but said that he was approached by ‘another Premier League club’ before accusing Brentford of going back on their word.
“I received a formal offer from another Premier League club and communicated I wanted to join,” he added. “I was under the impression, from all my conversations with Brentford, that there was a mutual agreement to part ways.
“Yet as the window comes to an end, the club has now significantly changed its position, going against what was communicated. This has left me in a difficult and frustrating position.
“The promise that I could leave this summer has not been fulfilled. It saddens me to have to write that, and I maintain total respect for the club and its fans.
“I want to make it clear that I have not acted unprofessionally, nor do I wish to leave Brentford on bad terms. I have been transparent in my position throughout.
“I have continued to communicate openly with the club and conduct myself in a way that reflects my values as both a footballer and a human being. I remain hopeful that a fair and reasonable resolution can still be found before the transfer window shuts.
“In the meantime, I must do what I feel is right for my career and family and insist that Brentford honour their promise to let me join a new club and at a fair price.
“Being made to stay beyond this summer will only tarnish four wonderful years at this incredible club and so I ask Brentford’s owners and directors to now honour their promise to let me leave in the final hours of the window.”
For the latest breaking stories and headlines, sign up to our Daily Express transfer newsletter.