Published On: Sat, Aug 30th, 2025
Sports | 2,925 views

Liverpool ‘devise new Marc Guehi plan’ and stance on submitting new transfer bid | Football | Sport


Liverpool initially wanted to pay no more than £30million but they are now prepared to go higher, according to Flashscore. Up until now, they have been playing hardball in negotiations given that Guehi has just entered the final year of his contract.

Those in power at Anfield are desperate to avoid the saga going into next year due to the threat of increased competition. As a result, they are willing to move closer to Crystal Palace’s valuation of between £40m and £45m.

Liverpool will almost certainly face resistance from Eagles manager Oliver Glasner, who is desperate to keep Guehi for at least one more season.

Liverpool are reportedly determined to sign Marc Guehi ahead of Monday’s deadline, even if it means paying more than initially expected. The reigning Premier League champions have been linked with Guehi throughout the window but are yet to strike a deal with Crystal Palace. They also remain interested in signing Alexander Isak, who is still desperate to leave Newcastle.

Talks with Crystal Palace have been ongoing for a number of weeks but Liverpool have struggled to find a breakthrough. They are said to believe that Guehi is the ideal man to partner Virgil van Dijk and replace Ibrahima Konate, who is attracting interest from Real Madrid. In an attempt to sign the England international before the window closes, they are reportedly set to change their strategy.

Speaking earlier this week, he said: “From my side, now it is Friday and the window closes on Monday, he has to [stay].

“He has to, because I think it is not possible at the moment to find a Marc Guehi replacement who can play straight [away] in the Premier League, being a starter for Crystal Palace, being consistent.

“When we see our foundation of the success we’ve had in the last couple of months, and also the foundation of going into the group stage [of the Conference League], is our defence.

“We had two clean sheets against Fredrikstad, we’ve had five games played with three clean sheets, we’ve conceded just one goal in the Premier League, so this is our foundation. Marc is a crucial part.

“He’s the captain, an English international, he has the most Premier League experience in the whole back [line]. Getting, now, the right replacement, I think, is almost impossible.”

Crystal Palace have been looking for potential replacements, with Manuel Akanji among the players linked. Club chairman Steve Parish recently admitted that he might be forced to sell Guehi rather than risk losing him for nothing.

“It’s a difficult situation, everyone has to sell players to comply with the rules,” admitted Parish. “That’s a situation that we will have to look at in the next [few] days.”

For the latest breaking stories and headlines, sign up to our Daily Express LFC newsletter.



Source link