Published On: Mon, Feb 16th, 2026
World | 2,539 views

Frail grandfather kidnapped from his bed by masked raiders was “wrong | World | News


Chris Baghsarian, 85,was kidnapped just before dawn on Friday morning. (NSW Police) (Image: -)

A frail grandfather who was bundled from his home by a gang of masked attackers in a dead of night raid is believed to have been kidnapped by mistake.

Police believe the criminals “got the wrong person” when they grabbed 85-year-old Chris Baghsaria as he slept in his bed in the early hours of last Friday morning. The pensioner needs daily medication and police say “every hour is important” as they desperately try to find him.

Mr Baghsaria, who lived alone, was forced from his house in the Sydney suburb of North Ryde by at least three attackers early on Friday morning, and bundled into a dark-coloured SUV.

But the man leading the investigation Det Acting Supt Andrew Marks revealed that no ransom note had been received and his team are working on the assumption that the victim was not their intended target.

He said: “They were intending to take somebody, but have taken the wrong person.

“The family are in distress. All they want is their father to be returned, their grandfather to be returned,” he said, appealing for people to report any unusual activity seen around properties known to be empty.

Israel's President Herzog Visits Australia

New South Wales police vehicle (Image: Getty Images)

The appeal came as Australian media reported that videos and images of the severely injured pensioner in an unknown location were circulating among Sydney’s underworld.

Det Supt Marks added: “It’s not ideal that those images are out there. I have seen the videos, they are distressing to see an 85-year-old man in that condition.”

He said that in a “normal” kidnapping case, “we would be aware of a ransom”.

“But because the family are not involved in this type of crime, and they’re not involved in that world, they haven’t received a ransom,” he added.

Cases of mistaken identity have become increasingly common amid Sydney’s criminal underworld as large organised crime networks increasingly ‘subcontract’ crimes.

Last year a 23-year-old plumber was shot dead in his driveway in what police believe was also a case of mistaken identity.

TBC People Observe Australia Day Holiday

Premier of New South Wales Chris Minns urged the kidnappers to free their captor (Image: Getty Images)

In Mr Baghsaria’s case the lead officer said he was “a million per cent confident they have the wrong person,” but refused to elaborate on who police thought the intended target was.

He added: “The fact that these offenders – these kidnappers – have got it so wrong is concerning.”

CCTV footage captured an SUV driving up outside Mr Baghsarian’s home before two hooded figures approached the house before reappearing with someone who is struggling in their arms and then pushing them into the SUV.

A burnt-out vehicle matching the description of the getaway car was found in the nearby suburb of South Turramurra shortly afterwards.

Police said Mr Baghsarian was wearing grey pyjamas and a red and blue flannelette shirt when he was kidnapped.

Mass Shooting At Sydney's Bondi Beach

New South Wales Police are exploring videos posted of the injured pensioner (Image: Getty Images)

New South Wales Premier Chris Minns has also pleaded for the grandfather’s safe return.

“Let police know where he’s currently located or alternatively drop Mr Baghsarian off at a shopping centre or an emergency department or even a nursing home,” he told to the kidnappers. “We urge them to do that as soon as possible.”



Source link