Huge landslide leaves residents facing 2-hour trip to A&E | UK | News
Residents of the Llanthony Valley say they feel ‘cut off and abandoned’ (Image: John Myers)
Residents of a small Welsh village say they feel abandoned after a landslide left them with just one route in and out of their properties. The collapse initially happened on January 30 when a riverbank gave way beneath the main road between Cwmyoy and Llanthony in Monmouthshire. Since then the terrain has remained unstable and continues to worsen, leaving the locals of Llanthony Valley, Wales, effectively cut off.
Michelle Turner, who lives in the town, said: “As a community, we feel profoundly let down. We all pay council tax yet we have effectively been cut off with little warning, inadequate communication and no clear or safe plan to protect residents’ welfare.” Monmouthshire County Council said the road was closed on the day of the initial landslip to allow specialist engineers to assess the damage. They said “substantial” movement was recorded during public visits on February 2 and 3.
READ MORE: Panic in European town as horror landslide leaves homes dangling off 25m abyss
READ MORE: Horror landslide kills eight with more than 80 missing
Engineers have warned that the slip has formed a vertical edge immediately beside the carriageway, meaning any further movement is likely to occur beneath the road surface itself.
The tarmac could conceal signs of collapse until failure happens, making the route extremely unsafe, they said.
Based on their findings and the continued instability, the road remains shut due to a “serious risk” to public safety, with barriers now erected at the site.
The barriers have sparked outrage amongst locals, with many stating the absence of consultation or advance warning has left people feeling cut off and distressed, with the situation “bordering on a critical incident”.
The closure has caused significant disruption to emergency services, Michelle said. She told WalesOnline: “Ambulances and fire engines are forced to divert via Hay-on-Wye, resulting in journeys of up to two hours to reach A&E.”
*** Ensure our latest news headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as Preferred Source in your Google search settings. ***

The route has been deemed unsafe. (Image: John Myers)
She said there have already been medical emergencies in the valley, including incidents requiring CPR, and in at least one case barriers had to be removed to allow emergency access.
Residents also highlighted that with the road blocked the only alternative route requires drivers to travel over the Gospel Pass – the highest road in Wales open to vehicles. With icy and wet conditions in force, they are anxious about taking this route.
Michelle said the alternative route over Capel Y Ffin into Hay is narrow, potholed, prone to flooding, fog and ice, and unsuitable as the sole access for residents, school transport, delivery vehicles and emergency services.
Some residents now face journeys of up to 37 miles and a 90-minute detour to reach Abergavenny, and parents emphasised difficulties with school transport and family obligations.
One local said: “Farmers are extremely stressed, frustrated, even depressed. It’s been incredibly difficult obtaining supplies.

Residents said the alternative route can also be unsafe. (Image: John Myers)
“Some have risked driving over the slip when barriers were opened to bring in essentials – otherwise animals could die. We simply cannot use the Gospel Pass due to its size and road conditions.
“Some places require oil or calor gas, boilers need servicing, a tree is dangerously leaning on power lines, and hospital or medical appointments are affected. The list goes on.
“Businesses are cut off, commuting is severely disrupted, and basic services such as post and deliveries – including refugee collections – have stopped.
“After weighing up the dangers of crossing a slip which may collapse if we’re unlucky, many residents decided it’s safer than driving over the pass. But we do not want visitors or tourists coming through road-closed signs.”
A spokesperson from Monmouthshire County Council said: “Following the closure between Cwmyoy and Llanthony on January 30 due to a serious landslip, specialist geotechnical engineers have attended to inspect the site.

The collapse first occurred on January 30 when a riverbank gave way. (Image: John Myers)
“Based on their advice-and the continued deterioration-the road must remain closed due to the serious risk to public safety.
“We are working with relevant departments and partner organisations to coordinate appropriate measures for essential services including emergency access, school transport, refuse collection, and other key provisions.
“We have also initiated the required investigation, monitoring, and design work in order to move forward with this situation. Until a safe, engineered solution is delivered, the road will remain closed for public safety.
“Monmouthshire County Council recognises the disruption this causes to local residents and is working to ensure public safety is maintained. We will continue to keep residents updated via a dedicated area on the council’s website.”








