Man Utd and Chelsea respond to rumours Jurgen Klopp turned them down | Football | Sport
Jurgen Klopp left Liverpool 18 months ago. (Image: Getty Images)
Both Manchester United and Chelsea have emphatically dismissed suggestions they approached Jurgen Klopp about becoming their manager. Klopp’s agent, Marc Kosicke, sparked controversy on Monday by claiming that both clubs had contacted the former Liverpool boss after his Anfield exit.
The German’s long-standing agent also suggested that his client could have taken charge of England in 2024 following Gareth Southgate’s resignation. Instead, the 58-year-old took a break from management before accepting Red Bull‘s Head of Global Soccer position last year.
Speaking to Transfermarkt, Kosicke said: “Before joining Red Bull, Jurgen could have coached the United States or England. Probably also Germany, if Julian Nagelsmann hadn’t already been there. Even Chelsea and Manchester United inquired, although Jurgen had clearly stated that he would not coach any other club in England.”
Ensure our latest sport headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as a Preferred Source in your Google search settings.
But the Press Association claim that both United and Chelsea firmly refute making any contact with Klopp, either directly or through his agent.
Irrespective of whether such approaches occurred, Klopp would have declined. The former Borussia Dortmund and Mainz boss recently declared on the Diary of a CEO podcast: “I said I will never coach a different team in England.
“So that means if [I return] it’s Liverpool. So yeah, theoretically it’s possible. I love what I do right now, I don’t miss coaching. I don’t. I mean I do coach, just different, not players.

Jurgen Klopp has returned to Germany with Red Bull. (Image: Getty Images)
“And I don’t miss it. I don’t miss standing in the rain two-and-a-half, three hours. I don’t miss going to press conference three times a week, having 10-12 interviews a week. I don’t miss that.”
His representative also confirms that the enquiries haven’t ceased. “These inquiries keep coming,” Kosicke added.
“He’s extremely happy with what he’s achieved. And it’s still wonderful to go down in history as one of the few coaches who only managed three clubs and were never fired.”
Most recently, Klopp has been touted as a potential successor for the Real Madrid manager’s position. However, the Anfield legend doesn’t expect to return to the touchline next season.
“I don’t expect to change my mind, but I don’t know,” Klopp said. “We’re building a house right now and my missus wanted to have a really big trophy room.
“There was another small room and I said, ‘This is enough because we know how many trophies we have, we will not add any.’ It might sound arrogant, but I know I can coach a football team. But I don’t need to do it until my last day.”
EXPRESS SPORT ON FB! Get all the best sports news and much more on our Facebook page
Our community members are treated to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. You can check out at any time. Read our Privacy Policy








